I have taken a break from blogging and participating in
medical Mondays but I am back!! If your stopping by from Medical Mondays
welcome!!
The week before Thanksgiving I had my dreaded one hour glucose
test!! My OBGYN had given me specific instructions 4 weeks before and asked me
the flavor of my choice! I choice the “sprite version”. She said I could eat like normal and come in at normal time. This is typically after 3pm!! When I went to
the front desk to make my appointment the girls at the front desk were like you
really need to come in the mornings! The girl was like everyone that comes in
the afternoon fails so you should come in for your appointment first thing in
the morning and don’t eat! Going against everything my OBGYN had just told
me. I was torn!! I made the appointment
for early in the morning. AT work the next day I heard the same thing don’t eat
and go first thing in the morning!! The week before my appointment my insurance
called with their nurse to do there check-in. Not 100% on board with this idea
but I just answer the questions very vaguely.
She asked had I had the test yet and I told her it was scheduled for the
next day! Hear advice to not eat carbs or sugar the day before and to fast
before the appointment. The night before
my appointment my office called to move my appointment back a hour since my OB
had emergency surgery. My original plan
was to sleep late and go straight to my appointment. Well now that my appointment wasn’t till 9 am I would have to go see my precious
babies for at least an hour. Left work
at 8am and drank the magic juice at 8:10 .
At approximately 9:10 I had my blood drawn. My OB called me back 20 minutes later with
the results. I had failed!!! SAY
WHAT!!! I had 145 and I need 140 lower!!
I had only gained 1 pound in 4 weeks and I was measuring two weeks ahead!! I
can’t have GD! My husband is in last 7 months of fellowship for endocrinology!!
NO WAY!! I was devastated! I have no clue what else she said! Other than
fussing since she told me to eat and I hadn’t!! She even threw it in my face
how does drh like it when his patients don’t follow what they say.
The next thing I remember hearing her said was I had to take
the three hour test before Thanksgiving! Huge problem since we were leaving
Saturday for our baby moon coming home Wednesday for drh to work a 4 hour
clinic and turning around and heading home for thanksgiving! Well you can just not eat carbs and sugar! Ummmm I don’t think we have met but I love sugar and
I love carbs and I am prego! This is
Thanksgiving I want to be able to enjoy myself!! So I went to work and talked
to my principal who agreed for me to be late for work again the day! I went to
hospital at 5am the next morning!! I was admitted and ready to go for 5:30.
However with switching of staff (LAB peeps)! My first blood was not drawn in
till 5:55am. I then was given my drink
which again was not horrible as everyone else said. I drank it within 2 minutes even though they
said I had 10! I figured the faster it went down the faster we could get the
party started. Lucky for me at the
hospital that I was required to do the test you got your own room, Which was
nice since I hadn’t slept at all the night before. However I ended up talking on the phone
for 1.5 hours to drh, my mom, and a friend who had GD. Every hour they would come and draw my blood
I would ask if it was lower than needed they would say yes!! I knew the numbers
thank goodness for dr google!! I knew I
had passed but still waited for officially results from my OBGYN herself. I had
passed!! WHOOO!!! Lesson learned listen
to my OBGYN and not everyone else!! Who knows
what would have happened had I eaten something light! Drh doesn’t think
it would have done anything!!
All that matters is that you passed, congratulations on not having GD. Thanks for linking up with Medical Mondays!
ReplyDeleteVisiting via MM Blog Hop! Great news! Happy for you!
ReplyDeleteRay Doc Wife
Keep blogging I want an update :) Stopping by from medical mondays as well. Congrats on the pregnancy!
ReplyDelete