Monday, July 1, 2013

Medical Mondays-- reflecting

Happy Medical Mondays to all who found their way here through the blog hop.  I'm glad to have you stop by and would love for you to leave a comment so I can get to know you!  I'm Laurie and I'm a kindergarten teacher who is loving being off in the summer.  My husband Tim is in his final year of Endocrinology fellowship.

Friday marked the end of year 1 fellowship and today marks the beginning of year 2 and final year of fellowship and a month of call.  It's been 8 years of medical school, residency, and fellowship.  This year marks year 9.  It has been a very interesting ride needless to say. Being married to a doctor is not all that glory and nobody will every understand.  The first two years of medical school we lived 4 hours away and I was working on my Masters in special education/elementary education and teaching full time on a provisional license. During third year I quit my job, moved back home to student teach for 1/2 a year.  Yes I quit teaching to student teach.  Very bizarre but my goal was to get to finish before we got married.  I graduated after my dissertation in early December. Of course Tim missed being a 3rd medical student on OBGYN.  We got married two days after Christmas.  During our first year of marriage Tim did two away rotations with in the first 6 months of marriage.  Mind you this was the first time I had every lived more than 5 minutes from family, now I am 4 hours away and my husband leaves me.  UNFAIR!!! Then we matched for residency in North Carolina and moved 14 hours from family.  Being married to a resident stinks. Being married to a resident has not been easy, and I don't think anyone other than other doctors' wives and military wives can understand the unique challenges we face on a daily bases.  However, it definitely helped shaped me into the person I have become.  It made realize what  a strong person I am. Last June we moved to Mississippi for a two year fellowship which brought us a lot closer to home.  Fellowship has been as my husband will say "vacation from residency".  His hours are great now and I really have no room to complain. He never works weekends expect on his call months which are 3 times a year.  I know don't hate!!  It's hard to believe that this it and this our last JULY 1st!! Not this has been an easy or fun  journey by any means but I will miss it when we settle down next year back home! I am so thankful for the past 8 years looking back but glad they are over and behind us.

Best of luck to all who are entering into this journey for the first time or starting Intern year!! God Speed!!

2 comments: